What is a Reading Club?
Our reading clubs are safe, informal spaces where children and youth can freely arrive to engage with books and stories. It is an opportunity develop a love for books and reading culture in communities.
Why Reading Clubs?
We know that literacy is one of the big underlying problems for many of our school learners. This programme is aimed at developing a love for reading, books and stories. Through creating a culture of enjoyment to read we support literacy programmes and will be improving children’s ability to read. Simply put – we support reading clubs, because we believe it’s the best way to improve reading and writing skills.
- To promote a love for reading, literature and creative writing
- To expose learners to various texts and possible careers in writing and editing
- Story telling
- Creative writing
- Create a love for reading amongst children through interactive reading and storytelling activities
- Assist children with basic building blocks for age appropriate reading and storytelling activities
- Encourage and promote reading for enjoyment to be implemented at school and within the home
AT UVIWE WE HAVE TWO READING CLUB OPTIONS:
YOUTH READING CLUB
Every Friday afternoon from 3:30 – 4:30pm youth can join UVIWE’s BOOK CORNER and enjoy the pleasure of reading and sharing stories
NAL’IBALI READING CLUB
Age 6-12 years
Every Wednesday afternoon the Nalíbali Reading Club meets to read, write and share stories